Black Tea Caffeine is produced from the leaves of the evergreen Camellia Sinensis that is native to Southeast Asia. It generally has more caffeine compared to the more popular green tea. More and more people are also consuming black tea because of its proven health benefits.
If you are already taking black tea caffeine or planning to try to this wonder tea, one should know not only the positive effects of black tea caffeine but also its possible adverse effect.
Fact: 2 % to 4 % of the black tea is caffeine. An average black tea contains caffeine of 60-90 mg per 8 ounce cup based on a typical tea bag.
Advantages of Black Tea Caffeine:
- Improves mental alertness – caffeine is not only a stimulant but also a known energizer. Consuming black tea caffeine can help improve your memory, learning process and even information processing skill even over long periods without sleep.
- Good for our heart- because of its antioxidant properties it helps protect the heart and the blood vessel plus it reduces the risk of a heart attack by preventing hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis).
- Reduces the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease!
- Anti oxidant- helps flush out unwanted toxins in the body.
Note that the benefits stated above can b enjoyed if black tea caffeine is consumed on its suggested amount and the disadvantages usually arises for people who take more than 2-3 cups of black tea(unless pregnant or with a special medical condition).
Disadvantages of Black Tea Caffeine:
- Caffeine is a natural diuretic, but if taken in large amount it may result to weak bones since calcium is also flashed out of the body. It can also worsen diarrhea of IBS ( Irritable Bowel Symptoms)
- If pregnant, one should be extra cautious in consuming black tea caffeine as it can lead to miscarriage or low birth weight.
- If one has diabetes, note that large amount of caffeine in the body also affects the blood sugar so caution should be taken.
- Psychological dependence/addiction when consuming caffeine in general regularly in large amount.
- Should not be taken by people with conditions sensitive to hormones- interestingly , black tea caffeine can act as an estrogen in the body and can have unfavorable effect on condition like ovarian cancer, breast cancer, uterine cancer and uterine fibroids.
- Other possible effects of too much consumption of black tea caffeine are: sleep problems, heart burn, headache, nervousness, confusion, irritability, dizziness and irregular heartbeat.
Remember in whatever products/food that you consume, knowing its content and effect is a MUST to prevent any possible reactions and of course to be able to enjoy its benefits. Reassessed your habits, know that too much of the good stuff can also hurt. For black tea caffeine take the suggested amount of 1-2 cups a day and reap its numerous health benefits.